When I saw the recipe for Raspberry Lime Yogurt Pound Cake on Elle’s New England Kitchen, I knew I had to make it as soon as possible. I love berries and I find baked goodies with any thing berry simply irresistible. I’ve made the cake twice within a month and planing on making it again and again, each time using different berries, or combinations of them.
I adjusted Elle’s recipe slightly to use the ingredients I had in my fridge. Elle used lemon zest, I used orange. I also used a mixture of berries instead of only raspberries. The first time I used plain yogurt, the second time vanilla yogurt, and I liked the cake better with plain yogurt - was less sweeter. But then it is only a matter of taste.
Follow your palate (not your heart:) and you will come up with the version that will make IT and you the most happy:) Feel free to use any citrus zest you like, or any berry you like. One thing is for sure - this cake is really delicious! Moist, colorful, summery - what’s not to like! Thank you, Elle, for the recipe!
SUMMER BERRY YOGURT LOAF CAKE
Adapted from Elle’s New England Kitchen
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup plain yogurt - none fat is fine (you can also use vanilla or any berry-flavored)
1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries (I used strawberries, blueberries and raspberries) - no need to defrost if using frozen
2 tablespoons orange zest (substitute with lemon or lime zest, if desired)
1. Heat the oven to 350?F (180?C)
2. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Using a mixer, beat at medium speed, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add yogurt and beat together until well blended.
5. Pour in flour mixture and beat just until blended.
6. Add summer berries and orange zest and mix with a spoon.
7. Lightly coat a 8 1/2 (21 cm) x 4 1/2-inch (11 cm) loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter onto the prepared pan and place the pan on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for about 70 minutes, or until the cake is golden on top, and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Remove the cake from the oven. Allow to cool in the pan, then carefully turn out onto a wire rack. Cool completely before serving.
NUSH OLSUN! ENJOY!